Like Its Own Little World


My vacation home in Skoura was a kasbah made of earth, straw and reed.  It sat next to a gigantic 100%  organic vegetable garden and was surrounded by all sorts of fruit trees and over 500 different types of plants. Past the olive trees, there's a small animal farm where I bonded with a six month old donkey who tried to eat my skirt and gave me a big friendly lean every time I popped by, which was often.   I picked my own dates for the very first time and ate white pomegranates right off the tree;  I guess Sawadi  is something between a farm and a hotel but for me, it was a playground to explore, a place cared for by good people who have the well-being of their home and environment at heart.
Skoura isn't the most exciting city in Morocco but what it lacks in tourist attractions, it makes up for in natural beauty; a luscious oasis of palm trees surrounded by  mountains and deserted land all at once, it's kind of surreal.  Of all the places we visited, it felt like the most authentic and was the friendliest. 




We chose to stay at Green Key certified establishments almost everywhere we travelled in Morocco. To me, encouraging ecologically responsible businesses abroad is not only important, it's a responsibility as tourist, as a guest in another country. Sawadi was a particularly attractive option because it's almost entirely self-sufficient;  it's like its own little world.   I ate three course meals made almost entirely from the vegetables and products grown and raised on the farm, I swam in chlorine-free pool and used natural soaps made by the staff. 

While those small gestures are lovely, it doesn't stop there; one must be careful not to waste the country's limited resources and ask more questions regarding the methods of operation and technology--- does the hotel recycle? What kind of lighting is used throughout the facilities? Do the owners donate to charities? Do they support local farm and suppliers?   Personally, I sleep much more soundly knowing that the roof over my head is cared for by people who help save the Saharan bee, offer training to local women and donate bicycles to schoolgirls. 

As international visitors, we have the power to help shape the future of a country like Morocco that relies so heavily on tourism by encouraging sustainable small businesses like Sawadi.   We can create a demand for the kind of establishment that take positive initiatives to protect the environment.  In return, they provide us with an authentic and unique experience and allow us to play in their backyard and explore their home for a few days.